Thursday, May 5, 2016

Visiting the 9/11 Memorial

{This is a guest post by Elsa Bearden.}

 

On my first trip to New York in 2010, the Freedom Tower was still under construction. Six years later on my second trip, I knew I had to visit this iconic monument as well as the National September 11 Memorial and Museum. I felt a little guilty though for wanting to visit these places; how could I enjoy visiting a place where hundreds of people died as if I was touring the Empire State Building or going to see a Broadway show? 





Our hotel was only two blocks or so from the Freedom Tower, but it wasn't until we walked upon the memorial fountains that I realized this visit would be completely unlike the others. Even with hundreds of visitors snapping their photos, there was a somber, quiet atmosphere which only thickened as we entered the museum. Two large beams, remnants of one of the towers greeted us as we entered the museum.




We spent hours making our way through the pictures, videos, and stories of that horrible day. We heard sniffles from other visitors and saw tears on a glass case which held the belongings of people whose stories we would never know.




Some content was disturbing and may not be suitable for younger children; some adults may not want to view these portions either. The notices for these areas in the museum were surprisingly small, so be sure to pay attention to any new sections or rooms you may be entering. If you're planning a visit, know that it will be an emotional one. I realized that our visit was a way to honor the memories of people like you and me, and I'm glad we had the chance to take this trip. 




After our visit to the museum, we bustled over to LadurĂ©e where we enjoyed lunch in an elegant setting. I felt like we had stepped into a scene on Downton Abbey, even if the restaurant is French. It was really nice to spend this time talking and catching up on faith, family, and the future. 


 




Later that day, we did go see a Broadway show, but that was only after Deli and I visited the TKTS Discount Booth in Times Square and purchased same-day tickets at a lower price. We dressed in our best outfits and hurried to the theater, since Abby and Sara decided to get lost taking the subway. We saw a new show based on the movie An American in Paris, which I've never seen. It was a fun, romantic drama with love triangles, ballet dancing, and even some history. It reminded me of the movie White Christmas, as the setting is after World War II and of course, there's singing and dancing.






Exhausted from our long day, we made our way back to the hotel and geared up for the next day's adventure: a trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island! 

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye